We found this recipe at www.bonappetit.com
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 1/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup golden syrup (such as Lyle’s)
- 1/2 cup sorghum syrup or 1/2 cup golden syrup (such as Lyle’s) mixed with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped salted North Carolina peanuts or coarsely chopped salted cocktail peanuts
- Vanilla ice cream
Blend flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Using on/off turns, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 4 tablespoons ice water and blend, using on/off turns, just until moist clumps form. Add more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Fold edges under and crimp decoratively. Freeze crust 15 minutes.
Line crust with foil; fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake until crust is set, about 20 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Continue to bake until edges begin to color, piercing with fork if crust bubbles, about 13 minutes. Cool crust on rack while making filling. Maintain oven temperature.
Whisk brown sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, cinnamon, and cayenne in medium bowl. Whisk eggs in another medium bowl to blend. Add golden syrup, sorghum, melted butter, and vanilla to eggs and whisk to blend. Add brown sugar mixture and whisk until smooth. Mix in peanuts. Pour filling into cooled crust.
Bake pie 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; continue to bake until crust is golden and filling is set (center of filling may move slightly when pie dish is gently shaken), covering crust edges with foil if browning too quickly, about 40 minutes. Cool pie on rack. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover loosely; store at room temperature.Cut pie into wedges and serve with vanilla ice cream.